Main | Fostering Positive Relationships with Students and their Families »

Handbook Spring 2012

After carefully reviewing the Phase 2 syllabus and Handbook, what questions or comments do you have? Try to get a picture in your head about what this experience might be. What questions do you have? Is your picture different than before reading the Handbook and syllabus?

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://weblogs.uni.edu/mt/mt-tb.cgi/2643

Comments (14)

Sarah Buckingham:

After reading the syllabus and Handbook, it helps me have a fuller picture of how the semester will layout. I am really thankful that there is a schedule of what will happen during the semester. The handbook also outlines what you need to do to after being observed. Will we have to submit anything electronically when we teach? Such as our lesson plans or behavioral management sheet, I know that we had to do that in Phase 1.

Heidi:

What special supplies or materials are we going to need for Phase II?

Are we going to follow the same lesson plan format that we followed in Phase I?

Should we take lots of pictures; would those be beneficial in taking?

Are there going to be deadlines for submitting materials and assignments each week?

I believe that my picture is the same picture that I have had in my head. I have not what former Phase II students hinder my thoughts or impressions. I know that it is going to be lots of work, but I am ready to get in the classroom and teach!

amy:

great questions so far. frank and marla and i will talk and get back to you on these. i can say that your lesson plan structure will likely be different. we'll talk about that in class, i'll have some sample lessons for you, etc,

materials? hmmm. there's no kit, to speak of. your lessons determine your material needs. tell us more.

Ashley:

After reading the Phase 2 syllabus and handbook I feel like it lays out what exactly is required of you throughout the practicum. The only question that I have would be when it says that we have to turn in our lessons to our cooperating teacher ahead of time how much 'ahead of time' does that mean. I know in Phase 1, I didn't want to make lessons too much in advance because some things may not go as planned in your lesson, so I am curious about that.

Caitlin Hardee:

After reading the Phase II handbook, I feel that I am more prepared in the sense that I know more about what is expected from us and the sequence of events that will happen throughout the semester. I am excited to have so much time out in the school and to expand my experiences during Phase II.
The only question or concern that I have is about my Phase II placement and my level III; I am still unsure on how it will all work out, but I think that as time gets closer and I receive my Phase II placement everything will start to come together.

Brittany:

I was a little overwhelmed about Phase II before reading the handbook. After reading it, I am a lot more excited about the opportunities that we have! I am very excited about working with group of students rather than one student. I also like how organized the handbook is. Having it split into specific weeks will be very helpful to know what we should be doing. After reading, I am a little confused about the lesson plans. It mentions that we have to hand them into the teacher early, but I am wondering how early. Sometimes, you can't move on with lessons because the students might need to spend more time on prior lessons. I am very excited to get started with Phase II.

Liz Bertrand:

I feel that I have a better understanding of what Phase II is going to entail. One thing that was reassuring while reading the handbook was the week-by-week outline. It was a little overwhelming to see everything we're going to be doing but it was also nice because we now know when to start discussing certain things, such as the week long unit, as well as when it is going to begin. A question I have, which I know will be answered in seminar or class is what the blog or communication we will be having with university supervisors entails? I also have a question similar to Joanna's, how far in advanced do our lessons plans need to be written? I often times didn't like writing my lesson plans too far in advanced because I didn't know what would or wouldn't change from one lesson to the next.

Liz:

Ally:

I feel better after knowing that Phase II seems fairly similar to what we did in Phase I. I thought that Phase I was very time consuming and difficult, but I got a lot out of it, so I am excited to see what all I gain from this semester in Phase II. I also like, like Liz said, the week-by-week outline that we will have to it will be easier for us to stay on task, up-to-date, and even ahead of the game by using that. My one question is, how far in advance should we let our teacher know if we have to miss a day, and does that day have to be made up during that week, or can it be made up a different week?

Brienna :

After reading the Phase 11 handbook I feel very overwhelmed. It does seem very similair to Phase 1, but I am concerned about co-teaching. I have never done this before so I am worried that things will not work out and we will bump heads a lot. But then at the same time I am looking forward to co-teaching because it is somehting that I will need to do in the future and it will be nice working in pairs. One of my question is, do we teach to the entire class or just a handful?

Haley McIntire:

As most people have stated, it was a lot of information to take in when reading the handbook. Although it was a lot of information, I'm glad it was in depth and really broke down what we will be doing each week. That was something a lot of us were confused about before phase 1 started. Will we be going on a school visit as we did in phase 1 before our practicum starts? Also, how often do we teach a whole class compared to the small group?

Brooke:

After reading the handbook for Phase II, I feel as I have more of an understanding of this part of the practicum. I liked how the handbook breaks down the practicum into each week. It is nice having a list to follow when I am unsure of what needs to be down. Although I have two questions about practicum in general. My first question, is how far in advance should we tell our cooperating teacher, university supervisor and professor, we are going to be gone to figure out a different time to come in for phase II? Another question I have about practicum, deals with level III, how does it work with phase II?

Kim :

The handbook looks very similar to the Phase I handbook which is very helpful. I like how this handbook is more detailed and specific than the Phase I handbook; I am able to see what is happening week by week and what is expected. I am looking forward to working with someone on co-teaching and being in the classroom for the morning. I don't have any questions at this point but I will ask when I do!

Joanna Reeves:

I was confused and left my comment on the wiki

The handbook was very detailed and helpful. It gave me a better idea of what Phase II requires. It will be very helpful through out the semester to go back and look through if I do have more questions. The one question I have now is about turning the lesson plan in a ahead of time. I was wondering how ahead of time we should turn the lesson in to the cooperating teacher for feedback. In Phase I often didn't write a lesson plan more than a day or two in advance because I never knew how each lesson would go and didn't want to make plans that would change. Thanks

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

About

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on January 17, 2012 3:02 PM.

The next post in this blog is Fostering Positive Relationships with Students and their Families.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Powered by
Movable Type 3.34